What is an Able Seaman?
An able seaman is someone who is knowledgeable about ships and loves to work with them, take care of them and be a part of a team. Your role will be varied and you’ll have various tasks – from helping passengers and acting as a lookout, to carrying out maintenance and taking soundings.Read more about the job description
What does an Able Seaman do?
As an Able Seaman you would:
- Look after special vessels for the Naval Service
- Maintain and take care of the craft as part of a team of people
- Fix any mechanical problems that arise
Is a naval career right for me?
Do you think you’ve got what it takes to be an able seaman? Here are the qualities you should have if you want to work in this industry:
- Excellent team working skills
- Good level of physical fitness
- A passion for handling and caring for ships
- The ability to follow orders
- Good communication skills
- The ability to react quickly under pressure and make quick decisions
How to become an Able Seaman
To work as an able seaman, you need to know about nearly all aspects of sailing and maintaining ships and navigational equipment as well as understand the legal and administrative requirements of sailing. To do this, you’ll need to get experience in sailing – joining a club or sailing school is an ideal way of finding out more about what is involved. You’ll also need to undergo some formal training, and be aware of basic first aid and safety techniques as part of your responsibilities will include supervising other passengers and staff on the ship.Read more about how to get started
- Supply Chain Manager
- Commercial Airline Pilot
- Road Modernisation Plan: Chiswick Bridge refurbishment