HS2 Route Engineer

How to become an HS2 Route Engineer

There are two typical routes to get into rail engineering: university or apprenticeship.

If you choose to go to university, you should look for BEng or MEng engineering courses that are accredited by a professional institution, such as the ICE or the IET. As you progress through university, you can begin to choose your specialism in rail engineering. After getting your degree, you’ll want to look for a graduate engineering job that will help you work towards chartered status. Chartership is an industry-recognised professional qualification and the final ‘stamp of approval’ that you are a competent engineer.

There are also some fantastic apprenticeship schemes available for rail engineering, which will enable you to learn on the job. One benefit of an apprenticeship is that you can begin to work your way up through different qualification levels whilst gaining experience through employment. You can also work towards achieving your professional qualifications as an Engineering Technician (EngTech).

If you’re still at school, working hard in the STEM subjects is a good place to start. These are the foundations for a career in engineering. You will want to prove to future universities and employers that you have the academic potential to achieve in the field of engineering.

Visit the following websites to learn more about engineering careers:

Institution of Civil Engineers The Institution of Engineering and Technology IMechE (Institution of Mechanical Engineers) Tomorrow's Engineers

Back to top