HS2 Area Engineer

How to become an HS2 Area Engineer

There are lots of different ways to get into civil or mechanical engineering, so it is just a case of picking a specialism and working your way up in the role. Most people go to university to get a master’s degree in civil or mechanical engineering. After getting your degree, you’ll look for a graduate engineering job that will help you work towards chartered status. Chartership is an industry-recognised professional qualification and the final ‘stamp of approval’ that you are a competent engineer. If a master’s degree isn’t for you, there are also some apprenticeship opportunities in civil and mechanical engineering, which will give you the chance to complete your qualifications through a work-based route.

If you’re still at school, a good place to start is by working hard at maths, science and technology subjects and getting good enough grades to get you on to either:

  • An undergraduate degree in an engineering subject, or
  • A Higher National Certificate in engineering (either full-time at university or through an apprenticeship)

Once you’ve graduated, gaining some hands-on experience would be a bonus and you’ll need further training in health and safety.

Visit the following websites to find out more about engineering careers:

Institution of Civil Engineers The Institution of Engineering and Technology IMechE (Institution of Mechanical Engineers) Tomorrow's Engineers

Back to top